Our network

Unattended Candle Causes Reston House Fire | Home & Garden

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Unattended Candle Causes Reston House Fire
Home & Garden, News

From Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department:

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a house fire Thursday, May 5, 2011, at approximately 5:55 p.m. in the Reston area of Fairfax County. The single-family home is located 1702 Putter Lane.

Firefighters reported fire and smoke coming from the top floor of the two-story home upon arrival. Firefighters found the seat of the fire in a second floor bedroom and quickly brought the fire under control. Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the single bedroom. However, there was additional smoke and water damage to other parts of the home. Four adults and one juvenile have been displaced. Red Cross assistance was declined. There were no injuries.

Damage is estimated at $75,000.

According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. An unattended candle caused the fire.

Candle Safety Tips


  • Do not place candles near combustible materials.
  • Place candles in glass or ceramic containers.
  • Place candles on a flat, sturdy surface.
  • Never leave children unattended in a room with an open flame candle.
  • Do not place candles on window ledges or near entryways. The potential air draft can “fan” the flame, catching curtains or other materials on fire.
  • Do keep burning candles within sight at all times. Candles can present fire hazards outdoors on decks and patios as well as inside your home.
  • Always extinguish candles before leaving the home.
  • Place all candles on a protected, heat resistant, dry surface away from anything that can catch fire and out of the reach of children and pets.
Home & Garden, News

Reston Deals