Our network

Use Caution When Burning Candles | Home & Garden

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Use Caution When Burning Candles
Home & Garden, News

The following was sent to us by Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department:

Candles can provide ambiance and add warmth and coziness to a home. Candles are also often used when severe weather causes a power outage, leaving homeowners in the dark. According to the U.S. Fire Administration, approximately 17,400 candle-related fires occurred in homes annually. Approximately 180 deaths and 1,575 injuries are attributed to candle-related fires. On average, one home candle fire is reported every 34 minutes.

     The Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department recommends residents use products such as battery-operated or electric candles and flashlights. If residents elect to use open-flame candles, follow these recommended safety tips:

  • ·Do not place candles near combustible materials such as upholstered furniture, newspapers, and magazines. (Fifty-five percent of candle fires start because the candle is too close to combustibles.)
  • ·Never leave children unattended in a room with an open flame candle.
  • ·Do not place candles on window ledges or near entryways. The potential air draft can “fan” the flame, catching curtains or other materials on fire.
  • Do keep burning candles within sight at all times. Candles can present a fire hazard outdoors on decks and patios as well as inside your home.
  • Always extinguish candles before leaving the home.
  • Remove all packaging before lighting.
  • Do use holders designed for the particular candle style.
  • Place all candles on a protected, heat resistant, dry surface away from anything that can catch fire and out of the reach of children and pets.

     REMEMBER-Candle fires are preventable!

     For more information, contact the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department or visit your local fire and rescue station. You can also visit our website at www.fairfaxcounty.gov/fr.

Home & Garden, News

Reston Deals