RESTON, Va. (WUSA9) -- A lighting strike hit a natural gas line causing a Reston townhouse fire Monday afternoon, Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department said.
The townhouse fire happened Monday afternoon around 4:10 p.m. at the home located at 11153 Lake Chapel Lane, officials said.
When crews got to the scene there was smoke coming from the four-story townhouse. They did an aggressive fire attack and were able to quickly put out the fire.
Two people were inside when the fire started. They were both able to escape unharmed, authorities said. The residents discovered the fire before the smoke alarms went off.
Damages are estimated at $15,000.
The investigation shows that the fire was accidental. A lighting strike hit the natural gas line, entered a wall inside the home and caused the fire, officials said.